Uber: new app that unifies and collects all services
An event held by Uber in their hometown of San Francisco just ended, where the company unveiled a number of new products. Among all, the new generation of its app stands out will collect all Uber services in one space.
Uber App: an operating system for everyday life
Uber’s goal? Make sure that everything you need when you are out and about in your city is enclosed in a single app.
The company started years ago offering a private taxi service on request, but soon expanded its business thanks to the services of food delivery, to electric bikes and scooters.
Today their new vision for the next generation of Uber apps debuts: a new way to discover, access and test the growing number of services available thanks to their platform. The customer is therefore increasingly placed at the center, with the aim of making him feel like a VIP.
New technologies raise the bar in safety and set a standard in the rideshare industry:
- Check your ride: to make sure you are in the correct car, you can now choose to receive a unique PIN code to communicate to the driver. The latter can only start the race by typing the correct pin in his app. A technology is also being developed which, thanks to ultrasound, warns the user if he is in the correct car once inside it.
- Running report: you no longer have to wait until you finish your ride and get out of the car to report a problem to Uber. With a convenient in-app option (icon with blue shield) you can immediately communicate the problems encountered to the appropriate team, for a quick resolution.
- Emergency messages: last year Uber introduced an emergency button in the app to connect riders and drivers directly to law enforcement. Now an option is added with which to send a text message (to 911 in the USA) in the cities where the service is available.
- Real time ID check: concrete help to make sure the driver is not a scammer. In addition to matching or not with a selfie, the app will ask for a series of facial movements to check that there is a match with the info in the database.
- Bike path alert: from the end of October, passengers in more than 200 cities will receive a notification if the driver pulls up along a cycle path, in order to be more cautious when exiting the vehicle.
New Special Features
New modes that will reward users and make them feel special:
- Monthly subscription which includes protection on the prices of the passage service, zero delivery costs for Uber Eats and advantages on the use of bicycles and scooters (where present)
- Rewards: Uber will allow customers to earn points every time they place an order on Eats or a car ride. The points will then be redeemable for discounts, for example, on delivery with Eats, free food with some partners like McDonalds, or discounts on rides.
- New choice filters on eatsto combat problems related to food intolerances or unconventional food choices.
- Partnership with Sweetgreen
- Virtual restaurants, soon available exclusively with Uber Eats.
For the drivers? New ways to improve and optimize journeys
An earnings estimation tool debuts, so drivers can predict in advance how much they will earn from each individual ride and evaluate whether to accept. Drivers will thus be able to ask for more precise information on the place of departure and arrival.
Sometimes it happens that the journeys end in sparsely populated areas, where it is difficult for drivers to find another passenger to take back to a more populated area. For this the service is introduced Back to Busy Area, a special filter that will help drivers select direct passengers to places of interest to them.
Attention to the environment
In the United States, Uber is also present thanks to electric bicycles and scooters, to improve the environmental sustainability of means of transport. It also favors the use of public transport by integrating in-app all the info about the main urban bus-train-tram lines.
The new app update improves the search for electric bikes and scooters, indicating them on the map also together with their state of charge. But don’t worry: new ones JUMP Charging Kiosk (Jump is the name of the bike-scooters), they will be available to exchange exhausted batteries with those just charged, and ensure even long journeys.
From next month, in addition to the Jump models, partner models such as LIME will also be reported in the app.
Plastic consumables: we know how they are having a big impact on global pollution. For this reason Uber will ask us specifically when ordering, from next month, the need to have cutlery-plates-straws etc. along with the food ordered.
A new partnership with Feeding America will help Uber care for the hungry homeless on US soil. In fact, by collaborating with the restaurants of the circuit, they will be able to donate food in excess or that would otherwise be thrown to the more than 37 million destitute Americans.
At the base of everything, Uber finally expresses the desire to transform all its energy sources into 100% renewable sources by 2025, with constant measurements of their environmental impact.
In short, there are so many news, let’s just hope that sooner or later all of this will also reach Italy!